The Early Childhood Education major at the Associate degree level prepares teachers to work with young children in a variety of early childhood settings. Students in this program gain skills to work with children birth-age 8 in child day care centers, family child care homes, and in preschool and kindergarten early childhood classrooms.
Are you a Connecticut resident majoring in Early Childhood Education? You may qualify for financial support to assist you in earning your degree. Ask us how!Let's Get Started!
Students graduating with the Associate of Science in Early Childhood Education may qualify as Head Teachers in certain early childhood settings. Plus, graduating students are prepared to enter the Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education program.
Programs align with the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) standards for the professional preparation of early childhood teachers.
An Associate of Science degree in Early Childhood Education requires 61 credits. Thirty (30) credits must be liberal arts and the general education requirements must be met. The major is printed on the transcript but not the diploma.
- ECE 101: Introduction to Early Childhood Education 3 credits
- ECE 176: Health, Safety, and Nutrition 3 credits
- ECE 205: Diversity and Ethics in Early Childhood Education 3 credits
- ECE 231: Early Language and Literacy Development 3 credits
- ECE 217: The Exceptional Learner 3 credits
- ECE 210: Observation and Assessment in Early Childhood Education 3 credits
- ECE 247: Child Development 3 credits
- ECE 222: Curriculum for Young Children: Methods and Techniques
orECE 261: Infants and Toddlers: Methods and Techniques 3 credits
- ECE 299: Early Childhood Practicum 3 credits
Students enrolled in this degree program are exempt from the Global requirement and must complete either the U.S. History/Government or Non-U.S. History or Culture requirement.
Electives added to General Education to bring total credits to 61.
Why Charter Oak State College?
- 100% online
- Credit for credentials
- Six (6) start dates
- Expert Faculty